Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Animals make the world smile

I want to introduce you to some of my "fur-children" since they encompass so much of my life and energy. You will learn that my husband and I have recently finished our military service (US Army) and have relocated to Northern Kentucky. We are currently shopping for homes - which means we all are crammed into my mom's house. Don't get me wrong, we are extremely thankful, but being a married couple and combat veterans in our late 20's, it's a definite change of pace. I'm pretty sure mom isn't that big of a fan no matter what she says, ha! My husband and I brought with us and our entire household (including all of my oddities) two dogs (Maggie and Zeus) a cat (Brian) and 2 ferrets (Sophia and Grace).

Zeus (Left) Maggie (Right)
Brian
Grace (left) Sophia (right)

My mom's backyard is a very nice size and although it wasn't landscaped it was well maintained and relaxing, that is until Zeus was introduced to it. Now it is a grass-less, muddy nightmare which I have taken upon myself to not only design a landscape, but somehow execute this plan and make the yard once again habitable- and prevent my dogs from being covered head to toe in mud daily, this is also to save the kitchen floor! 
Yikes! Right?!

Anyway, On my way to a landscape center today to price bulk gravel I passed the local animal shelter and remembered that I had an entire case of canned cat food that none of the cats (mom's and mine) will eat, so I made a slight back track to grab it and see if the shelter could use it. I was very surprised at how thankful the shelter was and also to find out how desperately they need basic items to help run the facility. This shelter is very well maintained and clean, I also noticed that the volunteer and payroll workers seem to genuinely love their job and care for these neglected animals. Being the animal lover I am, naturally I have to do what I can considering I don't have the room to take all of those babies home with me.




 The Kenton County Animal shelter need/ want list is an easy one for anyone on any budget to provide. Items such as : Newspapers & other recyclable papers, towels and blankets, cleaning supplies, animal treats, dog and cat toys, metal food bowls, rolling office chair(s) and any dog and cat food are just some of the things they will most gratefully accept! You are also able to donate your time and volunteer at the shelter as a family or individually, what better way to give back to these neglected animals and teach your children the gift of giving than a family day at the shelter?  I have a personal connection to abused, neglected, unwanted and unloved animals, to be specific, none of mine would be alive today if they weren't rescued by my husband, myself and even a shelter. 
More importantly, the best way to prevent neglected, unwanted animals and shelter overcrowding and euthanasia in them; is to spay and neuter your pets. This is an easy procedure for your animal that can not only prevent unwanted litters, but also save your pets from diseases. If you have any questions on how to give back, spay or neutering or even animal, adoption please feel free to contact me or your local shelter!

I will definitely be updating you as far as the landscaping is concerned and introducing you to the rest of the "fur babies" in the family! I am also in the midst of planning a European Vacation which I will give the details on very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment